Wednesday 25 January 2017

True Cost - Documentary




I've stumbled across this link to a film more or less by coincidence and although I've only watched the trailer, the images are haunting me (I am still wondering about the child in min 1:32 - I hope it is just asleep or so ...).

http://truecostmovie.com/

With every bargain we make, every cheap piece of clothing, we should know, that somebody else is paying for it.



https://aeon.co/videos/this-is-the-final-resting-place-of-your-cast-off-clothing

I remember from years ago an ad with a woman running after a shoelace from a shoe she so wanted and finding the other end in a slum in India. I can't seem to find it at the moment, but it also was meant to remind us under which circumstances clothes, shoes etc are made. Also fabrics.

What can we do?

Buy only what you need.
Buy locally from local producers.
Pay the price it is worth.

You will probably ask: Are you doing that? 100%? All of the time? No. I am not. I am not a superhuman. But I am really trying. And the more I try, the better I get.

It also reminded me of my trip to India in 2009 (work experience thing) and that trip was a real shock to my system. Not only was I reminded daily of how little women are worth there (I was ignored or not served or transported in a riksha, on a daily basis really, sometimes I didn't know whether it was because I was white or a woman or both). But you see on a daily basis around you how little a humans life is worth in India. The contrasts are overpowering and hard to understand for a person that grew up in a sheltered middle class household in Germany. - In the parallel street to a superposh hotel - people dying in the street. People living under bridges near a river that is really a big open sewer.  Children begging, living in the dirt. And nobody cares. On the contrary, it seems the people in power want to maintain the conditions the way they are. And then the images of the film - they are not exaggerated. This is real. It is happening. And not just in one place, but in an entire subcontinent. And more.




No comments:

Post a Comment