Wednesday 15 March 2017

Learning to wait and I am still tidying up...



We've moved into our new home 4 months ago and I am still tidying up. I am fascinated (and also quite shocked) how long it takes to settle into a new home. But I've also noticed, I am approaching things a lot different this time.
While I am still unpacking boxes (most of our possessions went into the cellar upon moving in, only the most necessary items went into the actual room), I am again sorting through. And I get annoyed and grumpy. And I am sometimes surprised about what I find.

The amount of stuff we also had to get rid of after moving in, is shocking. Why did we take it wih us alltogether? Well, the answer is because I am becoming more picky in what we own.

I also noticed I am becoming more patient when it comes to purchasing something - unless it is perfect, I am not buying it. And that's it.

Of course the term "perfect" is meant in a relative way. It is always the balance of what we need (and making the difference between want and need is difficult enough sometimes...), what we like and what we can afford.

Apart from the fact that we need surprisingly little and have surprisingly lot of stuff even AFTER I thought I sorted through the attic thoroughly (you live and learn...), I also noticed that the few things we eventually DO buy, really contribute to our daily life. It's great to see and use the stuff you have daily. Rather than getting a bargain here and there just because it is cheap, I am determining strictly what we actually use (e.g. kitchen utensils) and then get just that in good quality. I actually have the impression that we own less and spend less and what we've got is of far better quality than before. And it is so much easier to live like that.

One sore spot is still the cellar, but I'll go with that now. It's always good to have a project. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment